As a growing business, you might be considering expanding into Oklahoma. In doing so, you’ll need to check out the possibility of needing a sales tax permit in order to stay compliant in your selling. In the following post, we have provided you with all of the information you’ll need to determine if you need a sales tax permit and how to go about getting one.
Have questions about what you read? Let us know! We’re always here to help.
1. Do I have to pay sales tax in Oklahoma?
If you have nexus in Oklahoma then you are obligated to pay sales tax. Having nexus means you have enough of a presence in the state (you maintain a place of business in OK, or you have an employee or salesman in OK). If you have questions about nexus or whether or not you owe sales tax, check out this guide!
2. Do I need a sales tax permit in Oklahoma?
- Sale or rental of tangible personal property.
- Furnishing of specific services including printing and advertising, transportation and auto parking, admissions, lodging and meals, and telephone service.
- Furnishing of other public utilities: electricity and natural gas.
- For more information check the OTC website.
3. How can I make this as painless as possible?
Have the following information ready:
- Company information (legal name, corporate name, address, phone number, and start date of taxable sales),
- Company Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) or sole proprietor Social Security Number (SSN),
- Business type (sole proprietor, corporation, partnership, LLC, etc.), and
- Type of products or services sold.
4. How do I register for the permit?
In Oklahoma, you apply for a sales tax permit concurrently when you register your business with the state.
- Register online with OkTAP.
- Register in office
- Oklahoma City office
2501 North Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73194 Connors Building, Capitol Complex
- Tulsa office
440 South Houston, 5th Floor
Tulsa, OK 74127
- Oklahoma City office
5. How much does this permit cost?
There is a $20 fee with additional locations costing $10. There is also a convenience fee of $3.95 which is added to Visa debit transactions. For all other credit and debit cards, there is a convenience fee of 2.5%.
6. When will I receive the permit?
For electronic submissions, it takes at least five days for processing.
While registering in an office seems inconvenient, it is faster and recommended for businesses that need their permit in a hurry!
7. When will I need to renew?
As long as a business is in good standing, the permit is renewable every three years from the issue date.
For more information check out the Oklahoma Tax Rules and Regulations.
Hope this was helpful! Like getting great content like this? Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay on top of the sales tax challenges your business faces with Taxify by Sovos.