This morning, a Massachusetts judge ordered Amazon to hand over the identities of all FBA sellers who have stored inventory in Amazon FBA centers in the state since January 1st, 2012. Sellers on this list who have not been collecting and remitting sales tax to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue may be assessed back taxes, penalties and interest for all tax not collected. To see if you may be impacted by this court order, follow the steps below:
1. Log into your Seller Central Account
2. In the top menu, click on reports. In that dropdown you’ll see a link labeled Fulfillment, click it.
3. You should see an Inventory menu on the left. Click Show More and click the Inventory Event Detail link.
4. On the new page, click on the date range dropdown. Set the start date to January 1st, 2012 and the end date to today.
5. Click the Download tab.
6. On the Download tab, click the Download button under Report Status.
7. Open the resulting file with Excel. Look for Column F, labeled fulfillment-center-id. Search this column for BOS5 or BOS7 (don’t worry about BOS1, that’s actually in New Hampshire).
If orders have been fulfilled from these locations it may be worth participating in the Multistate Tax Commission’s Online Marketplace Seller Voluntary Disclosure Initiative. The state of Massachusetts is participating in this program and are only enforcing a three-year tax lookback on sales in the state. For more information, check out our resources.